Thursday, December 2, 2010

Pass the ketchup

I have been asked a few times about stocks that appear to have conflicting indicators. I came across one tonight in my scans that falls into this bucket. The stock is HNZ (H.J. Heinz Co).

What I noticed in this chart today was that the MACD was bottoming and starting to make its way up (reading at -0.2). However, the STO was quite high with a reading at 77.33 -- and so you have two indicators here that are not aligned. So what does that tell you about the stock?

What I see is that it had quite a sharp quick decline, and then a more gradual return up a Trend Line. Thus the STO is more advanced in its movement that what the MACD shows. The convergence of the 20d & 50d moving averages contributes to this as well.

Given the wedge play strategy here that I have for HNZ, this presents itself as a good entry spot. The stock price is above all moving averages, and the volume as of late is great.

So don't pass the ketchup after all. LoL.

No comments:

Post a Comment