Sunday, February 20, 2011

Are the markets open yet?

Since the U.S. markets are closed on Monday for President's Day, traders are enjoying a 3-day weekend. It is a great time to wax the car or do maintenance on the lawn mower. Crazy thought, I know. Whatever, the lawnmower can wait. LoL.

For me, my plan was to take advantage of the extra day to do a deeper review of all my trades for the year up to this point. In doing this review, I have uncovered a surprising statistic (to me) on my trade breakdown %:

Long    71%
Short   29%

In no certain terms did I expect this result, and I actually reviewed the spreadsheet calculation several times looking for errors. Despite my perception that I have been primarily Long this year, just over 1/4 of the time the trade I put on was bearish (this does include option trades, not just equity). To further confuse myself, several of the ETF trades that I am long are bearish ETFs (like ERY & SDS). LOL.

Primary criteria in the calculation % was based on position size and when the trade was closed.

So in summary: I am Bullearish. And I do think Tuesday will have folks chomping at the bit, more so than usual -- so be prepared for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment