Monday, February 7, 2011

Just a trade

Given the increased "why the heck are you selling" messages, I wanted to quickly put out on a post to cover the concept of Trading Goals. In order to fully be prepared in a trade, it is important to have the goals defined for why you are doing the trade in the first place.

I have found it to be increasingly important when I am initiating a new day trade to ensure that I note if it is meant to be such: it is "just a trade". I would like to offer why this is so vital to mental preparation in stock trading in that this is meant to ensure that I keep emotions in check. You can not marry yourself to a stock. In fact, the importance of defining my goal for the trade is enhanced because I may have a position on the same stock in another account (like my LT account for instance) which is in place using a defined set of goals for my Long Term strategy.

A trade that I define as just a day trade will have a few simple goals which includes my time frame for executing the trade, expected targets, and may include a very short leash (tight stop).

Today I have scaled out of all my positions that I held over the weekend in my day trade account. The new positions I added today, AIG & UAL, I have scaled out during the day as I felt an afternoon fade was brewing.

My trading style and philosophies are not fool proof, but the inclusion of goals & discipline help to ensure that my trading performance remains profitable - whether I am long SBUX, whether I am short NFLX, or whether I find myself in all cash.

3 comments:

  1. Great commentary. Quite honestly I find myself loosing sight on my day trades as well as my investments in longer term accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good stuff, Derald...very key to distinguish timeframes, I've tripped up many times in forgetting to do this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Derek. I don't see enough spoken on the subject of timeframes, much more important than many realize.

    ReplyDelete